CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Engage: Rest.

Day one of Engage the Journey.
Genesis 1-3.

It impresses me, causes an awed smile to cross my face, to read that the Spirit of God was moving on the formless earth [Genesis 1:2]. There's just something about hearing that God is and was moving that touches me. I think it's the fact that I can see Him moving in my own life, then turn around and hear what He's doing in someone else's life as well. God was moving. God is moving.

After creating the world... the heavens and earth, light and darkness, sun and moon and stars, animals and humans, the ones made after Him... God rested. He finished a task and then He stopped and rested. I think that this is one thing that I struggle with... a lot. I'm a busy person, and I feel like I almost always am a busy person. But I hate to not do anything after doing everything. I get ideas that I want to run with and I start running. Then as I run, I spot something of interest. I decide to run more so I can do both. Then the projects and ideas and obligations and concerns pile up. I enjoy them, mostly, so I don't mind. But what about being still? With all the noise how am I to reflect? To evaluate clearly? I don't think I can without resting. Seeing that He rested- God, the Creator of all, rested- (and obviously wanted me to know He rested or it wouldn't have been recorded) well, that would mean it's okay for me to do that same, now wouldn't it? So amidst my busyness, my list of things to do and see and be... I have to remember to rest. To "be still and know" that He is God. Rest.

Bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh. [Gen. 2:23] I heard someone say once that those words weren't romantic... that they were very 'manly' and not something that a woman would hear and appreciate. I don't think that's true. It's like poetry... it's like saying 'You're a part of me. Heart of my heart. Spirit of my spirit.' And I think that is lovely.

Hiding from God is something that I think most of us can understand if we think about it. I mean, haven't we all done something that we've been ashamed of? Something that we don't want to acknowledge happened, but hide under some fig leaves and hope He didn't see? Of course it never works... He sees it all. And He loves us anyway. So why try to hide? I don't want to hide. Honesty has become something I value a lot... hiding isn't being honest. I guess you could say that to hide is to lie. So I want to try to break away from dressing in my fig leaves after I've sinned and know God wants to speak to me... I want to be like Him. And I have to willingly show Him what He already knows I am, give up my pride and my shame, and let His love and forgiveness wash over me. Cleansing. Renewal. No leaves. Just me and Him.

1 comments:

Faerunner said...

I agree - you need to rest in order to reflect. You have a lovely writing style, too.

Here's to reflecting on an old year and then getting up to speed to run smoothly through the new! :)